Running a Tower #
Welcome to Running a Tower. This online document, produced by the Stewardship & Management Workgroup, is aimed at the Tower Captain - the person with overall responsibility for looking after all aspects of a tower. That may be an established Tower Captain, one just new to the job or someone wondering if they should take on the role.
The aims of this document are:
- To help you understand what requirements there are including statutory and legal.
- To help you make your tower an enjoyable place to be.
- To give you hints on how to run the tower.
The Stewardship & Management Workgroup have produced two other documents:
- Belfry Upkeep which is aimed at the Steeple Keeper – the one responsible for keeping the bells in order. The aims of that document are:
- To help with an understanding of the installation in the tower.
- To describe checks to carry out to identify any problems.
- To advise on maintenance tasks, possibly with expert advice or assistance.
- Most importantly, to help identify the tasks that require specialist knowledge from a Bell Hanger or other expert.
- Belfry Projects which offers advice to anyone who is considering a project to install bells or undertake restoration work on a bell installation in a bell tower.
Finding your way round this document #
If you are working on a computer browser (or on a tablet in landscape orientation) you will see a navigation menu with links to all the chapters on the left, and a menu with links to sections in the current chapter on the right. On a narrower screen (a phone or a tablet in portrait orientation), you will need to click on the menu icon (three stacked horizontal lines) at the top of the page to see either menu. Another click takes you back to the full text. For those who want to read the document straight through, and to help those reading on small screens, there are links at the end of each chapter to the next and the previous chapter.
Within the text, links to sections within the current chapter, to other chapters, and to external web references are shown in bold blue. Links shown in blue refer to entries within this document.
If the Search Box (top left below the title) does not work the information may be found using the left-hand menu and the right-hand menu (‘Sections within the current chapter’). This appears to be due to an issue with the hosting software which we are working to address, we apologise for any inconvenience.
Image Credits #
Credits will be found at the end of each chapter. The picture on this page shows
Latest Changes #
|First publication. All chapters at v1.0
|Updated following review
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, neither contributors nor the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers can accept responsibility for any inaccuracies or for any activities undertaken based on the information provided.
Version 1.1, March 2023
© 2023 Central Council of Church Bell Ringers